Friday, December 23, 2011

Busy, busy, busy time of year!!

Dear Maizy,

This time of year is almost as busy as you!  There is SO much going on.  Family parties, too many goodies to eat, shopping, exchanging gifts, and all of this on top of the busy day-to-day stuff.  I always am saying to myself and people close to me "why can't life just slow down!?!  One minute for everything to just stop. Stop!!!" 

I am so sad to report, but we don't even have our Christmas tree up yet.  I know,  I know.  I was so hard pressed to get one up last year since it was your first Christmas and all, but this year just feels different.  There is no snow on the ground, we don't have any Christmas decorations up, I've had it with people, the shopping and the greediness that comes with it all.  Then I feel bad in the meantime, real bad, that you don't have a tree or decorations to even know that it's Christmas.  I feel bad because you are the only person I want to shop and buy for but with everyone else spoiling you I don't need to.  I am sad that only one person close to me has said "don't get me anything. I don't need anything."  (Here's where the complaining begins) I have to buy for your Grandparents and Great-Grandparents who all have everything their hearts desire and yet they have not said once to me "we don't need anything,"  and are instead telling me what to buy them, it makes me sick, downright sick when I think about it. 

This time of year needs to be focused on Christ, his birth, family, love and the things we do have. Not materialistic things, but things being our warm and loving home, our health, each other, jobs, insurance and love, lots of love.  I want to focus on all of these things.  I can't help but think the only way to avoid this is to boycott family. Sound nice, eh!?!

As a child me and your Aunt Brittany never wanted for anything, it was just given to us.  Everything and anything our heart desired.  When I think about it, it's kind of disgusting.  I was telling my mom, your Grandma, how spoiled we were and what an injustice that was to us.  She acted surprised and asked if I liked it, well yes of course I did then, but it has done me a great injustice.  I always just expected it.  I knew I'd get spoiled. I am still spoiled. I want to do the opposite for you. 

Here is what I want to do:
I want to give you the item you most want for Christmas - within reason of course.
Then I want to give you memories of us cooking, baking, singing Christmas songs together, sipping our hot chocolate with marshmallows while we chat, cuddling, watching our favorite Christmas movies together, going to visit and give to those less unfortunate.  I owe all of this to you.  I don't have any of this with my mom or Grandma and I have always longed for it.

I promise next year we will start our traditions together and building our memories.  This holiday season has kind of spun out of control for me.  Next year I will have it more together.

I love you!!

Love,
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment