Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Your mama is old!!



Dear Maizy,

Today is my 30th birthday!!! I know, I know!  I am OLD!! Well I don't feel that old and certainly don't act it (see pic above).  I am trying to embrace the 3 and the 0 but it's not working, not yet anyway. 

Today's birthday makes me think of a past conversation I had.  I had a co-worker and he and I were talking about the number that we give women.  You know, like from 0 to 10, and 10 being the best for looks and personality.  He was a good guy, with an even better wife and four little kids.  I asked what he gave his wife and he said a "7"!!!  I was appalled.  I thought he should have given her a 10 or definitely a 9.  I told him that I was disappointed in him.  He came back the next day and told me that he told his wife about our conversation and the number that he gave her, she responded by saying, "A '7', really!?!?! Thank you!!! That is great, it just means that I have room to grow and better myself."

Well I think about my number but in ages and 30 means I still have room to grow, improve, get wiser, smarter and just better!  We're like fine wines, we get better with age. I like who I am but there are areas I would like to grow and improve in.  I don't think we ever stop doing that. 

I am thankful that I was 29 years old when I had you and not a day younger.  I just know myself better, feel wiser and am in a great place in my life.

This morning before I left for work I thanked you for letting me be your mommy and for being the best present I've EVER received.  I am thankful everyday for you. This is going to be the best birthday yet because it's the first one being your mommy!!

Today I had to work - that's what birthdays are about when you're old!!  But you and your dad made my day by coming to have lunch with me!!  We went to El Paisa Grill by my work.  Your father and I shared nachos while you ate refried beans that you weren't too fond of!  When you two came into my work to get me and meet a few people. You didn't smile once!  But when I returned from lunch everyone told me how cute you are and that they can tell your daddy is head over heels in love with you - couldn't be more true!!

This has been a great day regardless of the fact that I am no longer in my twenties and that I had to work.  You two made it even better. Tonight your father and I are going out for drinks and sushi while the Grandma's (G-G-ma Donker & G-ma Shelly) watch you.  They couldn't be more excited!!!

The plan is to go to dinner early so I can come home and hang a good part of the evening with you too!!

Love you!!

Love,
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment