Tuesday, October 30, 2012

RIP Bear

Dear Maizy,

I had it all planned to take the time to catch up on your blog today because Lord knows how behind I am.

This morning I called Grandma Shelly to talk about our evenings last night.  She informed me that Grandpa Glen's best friend, Bear, had passed away.  Grandpa and Bear were the best of friends.  Grandpa had been going over to Bear's house every evening to give him his meds giving Bear's wife Connie time to do other things she needed to catchup on. 

Bear was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer just this summer and by then it was too late to start treatment, but instead do what they could to make his short life more comfortable. 

Not enough good things can be said about Bear.  He had a contagious laugh, was handsome, always happy, a good worker, smart and just all around a great person.  I have known Bear since I was seven years old and for Grandpa Glen even longer.

Bear adored you.  He always commented on your beauty.  You and Grandma Shelly went over to his house last week to visit him and he and his wife loved every minute of the visit.  While there Connie and Bear showered you with treats and your fave - Popsicles.  We were actually supposed to go spend Halloween evening with them tomorrow night.  My heart breaks that is no longer going to happen.  I would have loved to have seen Bear one last time and give him a hug and have him see you.  He was really looking forward to our visit.  Bear gave it all that he could and he fought a tremendous fight and always remained positive.  Even when Connie would break down it was Bear that lifted her spirits and reassured her that everything would be ok.

Life is too short and it's so true that "the good die young".  Unfortunately it's instances like this where you lose someone so great that you realize how great, wonderful, precious and short life really is.  You feel this way for a few days then it's back to the same old grind and we forget - not about the people, but how precious and what a gift life really is. 

I love my life and some days I forget how lucky I really am.  I always know I am lucky to have you as my daughter and that is the best gift of all, but I still have both my parents, a wonderful and loving partner, a great job, my health, a nice home and have not experienced any great loss.

I feel for Connie.  I can't express in words how much I feel for her. I can't stop sobbing today since hearing the news. I just feel so much sympathy for Grandpa Glen, Connie and their two children and all the many great friends and family that Bear and Connie have. 

Well my dear, sweet girl!  I wish we lived in a perfect world, but we don't so we need to make the best of it, hold those that we love close to us, tell each other how much we love and care for each other at every given chance and especially show it towards one another. 

Bear will always have a special place in my heart. 

RIP Bear!

I love you Maizy!

Love,
mom


No comments:

Post a Comment