Thursday, August 23, 2012

Your Birth Story

Dear Maizy,

On a lot of the blogs I read the women write about their birth story.  I thought I would get on the bandwagon.  Especially, since it's been 2+ years ago since my amazing birth story and I don't want to forget any details.

Ok here we go.

I was put on strict bed rest on July 1, '10 and you weren't expected to arrive until September 5th. Yikes!!  The reason I was on bed rest was because my blood pressure would not cooperate.  There was a even a scare that I was going to have you on July 1st which could have been horrible in so many ways, so I had to be put on on bed rest to prevent going into early labor.

Bed rest was really hard for me because the only thing I was supposed to do was lie in bed 24/7.  I was supposed to only get up to use the restroom and that was it! I wasn't even supposed to shower everyday  WHAT!?!?!  That was hard for me because I felt great!  My tummy was small and remained small, so I didn't have a hard time getting around. I had headaches frequently but I was used to them, so that wasn't bothersome. I was home all day and wanted to get stuff done to prepare for you - put your room together, wash and fold your clothes, blankets and just organize, so I did as much as I could without getting in trouble or busted from others when I wasn't in bed. UGH!

When I wasn't at home in bed "resting" I was at the hospital.  Twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays, I had to go in for a stress test which consist of me lying there with monitors stuck to my belly and my finger listening to your heart beat, monitoring my oxygen levels, my heartbeat and watching you on the screen.  I really did love that part.  The one thing I didn't like was if you didn't move as much as they needed you to they had to "buzz" you.  Which meant they would put a buzzer on tummy and it would make a loud noise and vibrate to make you move, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, sometimes it worked so well you would kick me and that I did not like - ouch!  The blood pressure meds I was on made you "Lazy Maizy" -  the nurses informed me that labetalol babies are lazy. That may explain that since you are anything but lazy you are making up for those 9 lazy months!

Sometimes my stress tests would last 20 minutes sometimes 2 hours!! And since I wasn't supposed to drive others would take me to the hospital for these tests. I felt bad when they had to wait a couple hours. I always had to wait for the doc's approval to leave. Daddy, Grandma Shelly, Aunt Brittany, Grandma Donker or my friend Tresa would take me. They were all really great about it.  Plus we all got a kick out of watching you yawn, suck your thumb and move around on the screen when you did decide to move.  I secretly didn't mind going to these tests - hearing your heart beat and seeing you move around was the greatest thing ever plus I was out of bed.  I liked always knowing what was going on with you. They could even see how much amniotic fluid I had and that was always interesting to me.

I had a stress test on Thursday August 12th and everything went pretty well.  They told me that you weighed just a little over 4 pounds - tiny!  We had a scheduled delivery date in the works - August 17th.  Well I had another doctors appointment the following day on Friday the 13th of August.  This was supposed to be my last appointment until the delivery date. It was hard though for me to imagine driving ourselves to the hospital for a scheduled delivery, but that was the plan. Anyway, I woke up Friday morning and could just tell it was going to be a strange day.  I started to feel really bad for putting people out to take me to my appointment, so I told a few tales and took myself to the hospital for that day's appointments. First, I was meeting with a different doctor since mine was out of town, then I was to have a stress test.  Well I met with Dr. DeSano, she was also pregnant and she was great!  I told her it felt like a Friday the 13th and she agreed. There really was an interesting/weird vibe in the air.  Before I left her office she told me that if she did not like the results of the stress test that I was going to be admitted to labor and delivery immediately. Yikes! 

I walked down the hall to have my stress test.  I laid there just praying.  I was praying for your heart beat to go up since it was going down, but if I had to have you that day I wanted you to arrive safely.  My emotions were all over the map. In the meantime, I talked to Grandma Shelly on the phone and she was coming to be with me and bring me a lemonade since I had already been there for an hour or so and I had to drink more since my amniotic fluid was getting low.  After my phone conversation with Grandma, Dr. Rose came in and told me that they didn't like your low heart beat or my blood pressure reading so they were sending me down stairs to Labor and Delivery.  AAAAAHHHHHH!!!  

As I was walking downstairs I was laughing, then I would cry, then I would smile, then I would shake out of fear. Emotionally I was all over the place.  I called Grandma Shelly and told her to meet me in labor and delivery. Surprisingly she was pretty calm.  I was going to call daddy, but he was working in Park City and I wanted to see what was going on before I called him. Since I was only dilated to a one I knew it would be a while before you actually arrived. 

I checked in and was put in room two.  I changed into my gown, Grandma Shelly arrived and came in the room. We were just talking. I was in a great mood.  I couldn't wait to meet you and make sure you arrived safely and that everything went well.  I felt great! I had a view outside the front of the hospital. I was very cooperative with the nurses and did everything they said - meaning I would put my arm out there to be poked and prodded - my least favorite thing in the world. Then they put magnesium  in my i.v. and instantly I felt like I had the flu.  I was not so happy and didn't feel great any more.  Since Aunt Jenn is a nurse she warned me about this stuff, it's to help lower  blood pressure and prevent  from having a seizure or worse go into a coma.  I called daddy and told him where I was at and what was going on. He was so freakin' happy and wanted to hurry to the hospital.  I told him to finish out the day, get my hospital bag packed and then come to the hospital since I was still only dilated to a one it was going to be a while.

Then I had to make the call to my friends who were throwing our beautiful baby shower the next day that I wasn't going to be able to make it.  Crazy!  They were going to proceed with the baby shower anyway since they were all prepared with the decorations and food.  I felt bad because I always love a good party and they went to a lot of work for the event, but I had my baby to meet.  Woo hooo!!  I just laid there and waited.  It was all really overwhelming to think that it was finally happening and kind of surreal at times.  

I continued to have my blood drawn every hour to make sure there was nothing wrong that the monitors couldn't detect.  I felt like a pin cushion. Did I mention I hate my blood being drawn!?

Grandpa Frank dropped by on his way home from work to visit.  Grandpa Glen was also there, it was the first time the two of them had been in the same room since Grandma married Grandpa Glen, it went real well and everyone was adult about everything. Whew! Everyone was just hanging out and talking.

Dad arrived about 7p.m. with my bag of everything I thought I needed and your outift for the way home. This is the outfit I planned to take you home in but it actually didn't fit you until you were 3 months old!!! It was a darling onesie with pink pants to match.




Then the visitors left and daddy and I just waited for you.  The nurses were fantastic!!  They would share some of their own labor and delivery stories which helped.  Everything was going real well. 

I tried to sleep as much as I could since I was emotionally tired and wanted to conserve my energy for what was ahead. It was hard to sleep when I had to have my vitals taken every hour and my blood drawn. Ugh!! Your dad slept pretty well on the little couch, but it was a long night for us both.  Then about 1 a.m. they gave me pitocin which is supposed to move things right along.  Now I was starting to get nervous.  I was told I could ask for the epidural at any time since I had the pitocin, but once you get an epidural you have to get a catheter and can't use the restroom - no thanks! One nurse told me to get an epidural as soon as I could. Then another nurse told me to at least feel a few contractions. I wasn't sure what I was going to do.

Anyway, morning finally came.  I was able to eat but didn't feel like it since the magnesium makes you feel like you have the flu.  I was still only dilated to a 1 - when you're at a 10 is when you deliver.  You were doing great and were moving a ton.  Your dad was very, very sweet and accommodating.  He is not afraid to ask anyone for something if I needed it.  I had a huge major headache so if I needed meds or anything to drink dad was out in the hall getting it for me.  He got to know the staff real well and them him.  The nurse I had in the morning was named Brooke.  She was my nurse from 3 a.m. until 3 p.m. and she was determined to see that you were born before her shift ended.  She had 2 children of her own and she was awesome!!!

Then about 10a.m. the nurses came in  they were going to break my water.  YIKES!  Some how and not sure, maybe by the grace of God, I remained calm through it all.  I was still only dilated to a one.  There were 2 nurses and they were both nervous because they had never broke anyone's water that wasn't dilated more than me.  The nurse that was going to break my water was sweating a little she was so nervous.  The tool they use is almost like a thick wire with plastic coating with a little wire spring on the end that opens the sac - weird! Well the nurse did great! I didn't feel any pain and just then the water gushes out;  it felt warm and like I peed the bed.  After a little while they changed the bedding so I wasn't sitting in the water. 


Then my mom and Grandpa Glen showed up. We just hung out and chatted even though I felt ok I didn't feel super chatty and still felt sick from the magnesium. Then I felt a contraction.  Ouch!  And even though it didn't hurt that bad I thought, um, I don't have to feel this, so I asked for the epidural.  There was one woman ahead of me so I had to wait for a few.  The pain wasn't too bad, but I was ready for it.  The doctor came in about 1:15p.m. and daddy was super great rubbing me and trying to soothe me but I asked him not to touch me since it's kind of nerve racking having a big needle put in your back and you have to stay SO still.  The doctor was fantastic!  He told me everything he was doing and it didn't hurt, it just stung a little then it was over.  Whew! Then I had a catheter put in.  UGH!  But no more pain was felt.  Ever!

Everyone came back in the room.  My mom, Glen, Grandma Annette, Aunt Jen and Aunt Deb showed up.  Then my friends Amanda and Brindy to come tell me about the baby shower and to bring the gifts to us.  It sounded like a beautiful party!  The girls opened the gifts and showed them to one another.  I thought that was a wonderful idea.  I mean who doesn't love to see darling baby girl stuff and Oh My Gosh did you get cute stuff.  By the way we got to have 2 baby showers and at least I got to go to one of them!

Anyway, I said goodbye to the girls and daddy and Grandma Shelly walked them out.  In the meantime the nurses are getting the room ready for me to deliver, it went from a lovely room to a operating room in minutes!  Weird!  The nurse I had was great and very knowledgeable. 

Well while daddy and Grandma were out of the room Aunt Jenn was talking to me and would not shut up and in the meantime I was feeling this immense pressure - just like you have to go poop. Sorry for the bluntness, but there it is.  Anyway, Aunt Jenn finally shut up and was saying goodbye and I said to the nurse. "Um, what does it mean when you feel a huge amount of pressure?" The nurse said to Aunt Jenn "Go get the daddy it's time!!"  Aunt Jenn asked if I wanted anyone else in there and I said "my mom too please!" Aunt Jenn said "are you sure you don't want my mom too?" and I said "Just my mom please!"  In comes my mom and Michael. My mom being in there was a last minute decision made by me.  We decided we didn't want anyone in there, but she stressed to me a few days before how awesome it would be to be in there. I thought about it and it would be cool, so I let her.  And just as a side note for a possible future child I would allow Grandma Annette in there too.  It's totally different than you imagine.  

Anyway, Grandma came in and held my left leg up and daddy held my  right leg up and I was ready to push!  But they made me wait until the doctor arrived.  You were ready to come out!!  I pushed two times before the doc arrived and you were almost out.  We were really nervous and the Intensive Care Unit was on stand-by because they were convinced you weighed only four pounds.  

Anyway, the doctor arrived and I pushed maybe three more times and you were out. Your daddy got to cut the umbilical cord and can you believe it we don't have a picture of that.  I get sick when I think we don't have a pic of that glorious moment.  After dad cut the cord - which by the way the nurses and doctors were raving on what a perfect and beautiful umbilical cord it was and we do have a picture of that -  they briefly wiped you clean and placed you on my chest.  You were absolutely beautiful!  You did such a good, good job!  People worry about the mom in child birth, but I felt more worried for you.  You had a way bigger job than I did.  You were perfect.  It's hard to hold back tears while I type this.  It was one of those moments in life where you wish you could hit pause every minute to take it all in.  It's just a surreal moment.  Daddy and Grandma had tears in their eyes.  The nurse took you off my chest and went to weigh you and clean you up. Daddy followed you around while the nurses did their thing then Grandma stayed by me while they stitched me up.  I hardly tore at all which was awesome!!! I tore internally but only needed like three stitches.   You were born at 5:20 p.m. on Saturday August 14th.  The best day and time of my life!  You weighed 5 pounds and 13 ounces - way better than four pounds - and were 18 1/2 inches long.  They couldn't put you in my arms fast enough.  Then everyone came back in the room to meet you, it was awesome!! I was happy for everyone to hold you and see your beautiful face.  Aunt Jenn was a little scary the way she would hold you.  She is a labor and delivery nurse and deals with babies all the time, but it was making everyone nervous the way she handled you! Grandpa Glen jokes that it was like a Cirque Du Soleil performance.   Regardless,  it was such a wonderful happy moment.  I wish I felt better but the magnesium was very necessary.  I can't stress how happy I was.  Grandpa Frank stopped by after work to meet you and it was super cute to watch him hold you. 












After everyone left we got moved to a different room up to second floor.  It was nice to be in a more comfortable room. I was still on magnesium so I didn't feel super great but I was so happy and just smitten with my family.  I couldn't hold you enough.  A couple hours later the nurse came up to give me a shower then it was your turn!  I was sad that I couldn't participate - i had too many IVs and monitors to get around so I had to watch you get a bath from the nurse and daddy.  You were so dang cute.  You didn't like it one bit until the nurse scrubbed your head a little then you were quiet and was in heaven!  CUTE!




Then the nurse left and we just hung out in the room that was full of love and peace.  I couldn't stop staring at you.  I took this pic about 10:20p.m. and this is my favorite picture in the history of the world. It is still on my phone to this day!

I was trying to breast feed and you did great!  You latched on and did everything you were supposed to do.  We switched between that and bottles since my milk wasn't fully in yet and I was really worried about all the drugs I had.  I couldn't get a clear on answer on if it was ok to breast feed or not after the magnesium. 



I slept with you in the room, but the nurses did have to come get you in the middle of the night to do a hearing test and you passed with flying colors. They even came back with a paper of your foot prints and I lost it, it was the most darling thing ever! 

The next morning daddy left to go meet his best friend, Josh, at the airport while he was in town.  Josh lives in Hawaii so they don't get to see much of each other, but I didn't mind because I just wanted to hold you!  The boys did send me this pic while they were together.  Cute!  Then daddy headed to the house to get our room all ready and organized - we had carpet installed that morning.



Then a photographer stopped by to take your pictures.  I was totally fine and excited about it until she had to touch you and man handle you.  I wasn't too happy, but I could tell that the pictures were going to be darling, so I calmed down.  Then she left and said she'd be back with the results in a little while. I got you back in my arms and cuddled you.  Then the girl came back like an hour later or so and put the slideshow of pics on her laptop to show accompanied by a real emotional song (Sweet, sweet baby by Michelle Featherstone). SERIOUSLY!?!?!?  I started crying and wasn't sure I'd ever be able to stop.  The pictures melted my heart!  They were perfect because you are perfect.  




They give you a login and password so you can view the pics online for a few days.  We showed them to every one and I cried every time! 

I finally got taken off of the magnesium and felt 100% better, so when your dad came back from visiting with Josh I took a shower, it felt so nice, but I didn't have a blow dryer packed and the hospital didn't have one either.  UGH!! I looked awesome.

Then after a little while people started to flood in and visit. Grandma Shelly, Grandpa Glen, Grandma and Grandpa Donker, Aunt Jenn, Grandma Annette, and Tyler were all there at the same time.  It was fun to have so many people there visiting.  That room was full of love it was awesome!!

Then after everyone left your Uncle Paul came and visited.  He was really cute with you.  

We didn't have any more visitors for the night, so it was nice to relax.  We got to go home the next day if my blood pressure was cooperating.  We wanted you to sleep in our room which you did but at out 1 a.m. the nurses came to get you to do a car seat test on you.  You passed!  They came back about 6 a.m. followed by the pediatrician. He broke the news to me that you had jaundice.  Even though it's very common, I had it as a baby I couldn't help but cry.  They mentioned you may  have to stay and be on the bilirubin lights.  I lost it.  Your dad was still sleeping on the couch, so he wasn't aware of the news.  I found out there was a way to stay at the hospital and pay extra to stay but I was not going to leave the hospital with out you.  Shortly after a nurse came in a set up your new bed for you, it looked like a tanning bed and we lightened the mood, by saying it was.  We had to have you on that lighted bed as much as possible and I wanted you to get better a.s.a.p. so I was sure that you did just that.  You actually quite liked the bed because it was rather warm.  You didn't seem bothered one bit. Whew! 



There was good news headed our way - they were going to deliver bilirubin lights to the house so that we didn't have to stay!  Woo hoo!!!  We just hung out in the room.  Grandma Donker, my mom and Aunt Laurie came to visit before we headed home.  

We finally got the ok to go home on Monday about 5:00pm.  We were ecstatic.  We had enough of the hospital. We had been there since Friday.  They tested you again and your jaundice was getting better.  YAY!  

We got you already to go home, luckily Grandma Shelly gave you some little jammies she washed for you to come home in because the outfit I planned was way toooooo big.  We put you in your car seat and you were not happy!



Look at how tiny you were!!  You only weighed 5 pounds when we took you home.  I have never seen anything so precious.  We said good bye to the nurses, got in the elevator and headed towards the car.  We were followed by the nurse to make sure your car seat was installed properly, it took FOREVER!  Plus it was hot outside!! We finally got it ready.  Driving out of there was so weird and scary!!  We had precious, precious cargo!  We got on the freeway and were stuck in traffic!  We barely were gone 10 minutes when the hospital called - I left my blood pressure medicine there!  UGH! So we had to turn around to only get back on the freeway in the traffic AGAIN!  We finally made it home and headed up to our "new" room, it was beautiful and cozy.  We spent a lot of time in that room over the next nine months, but that's for another post.  

We just laid you on the bed and stared at you. We set up your bilirubin lights and got you on there a.s.a.p.   You didn't cry very much and when you did it was music to my ears.  I cherished the sound.  We got the biggest kick out of your facial expressions.  Couldn't get enough of your soft skin, beautiful eyes and button nose. I just love this picture of you. 



We just soaked up all our time with.  I remember saying "Honey, look at her!"  "Look at what she's doing!"  I was enamored with you. I still am. 

I am so thankful and blessed to have you then and now.  You were such a special baby. You captivated everyone that looked at you.  The nurses would just come in our room to hold you, so see, I am not biased! 

I feel like I have known you all my life and have a hard time remembering my life pre-Maizy.

I would have you a thousand times over, it was such an awesome experience.

Thank you for coming into our lives.

I love you!

Love,
mommy 







No comments:

Post a Comment