Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Lava Hot Springs

Dear Maizy,

We had such a fabulous, fun filled weekend, it all started Friday the second I got off work.  Woo hoo!  You spent Friday at Grandma Donker's.  Daddy picked you up after work then you two met Grandma Shelly and I for dinner since Grandma Shelly picked me up from work.  We had to rush through dinner since your dad and I were going on a movie date!  We went and saw Snow White and the Huntsman and it was a really good, entertaining movie.  You went to Grandma's to play and get spoiled.    

After the movie we picked you up from Grandma's.  You had a blast at her house, came home in a new outfit and with a toy - like always!

We got home and packed for our trip the next day!  Woo hoo!!! 

Saturday we woke up early, got some coffee and went and picked up our rental car. Then we loaded up the car and was on the road by 10:30 a.m.  YAY!! 

You were a rock star on the drive, but 2 hours is your drive time limit.  I don't blame you. We did get out and take a break after an hour and it was like pulling teeth getting you back in the car. 

You did pretty good once you were in the car, but the last 10 minutes of the drive nothing would make you happy except to get "out, out!"  as you tugged at your buckle of the car seat.   

We finally arrived in Lava.  We took the traditional drive down main street and then up to Grandma's house.  Your dad went to Lava once when he was really young, so this was like a first time for him too.  We stopped at the grocery store and got some munchies and stuff for lunch.  Then we walked around the town and checked out what was going on - not much.  

We went and checked in to our hotel - they let us check in early.  Woo hoo!!  We walked in and the first thing you did was jump on the bed!!  Then I came and joined you!  That's what hotel beds are made for, right!?!?!

Then we all relaxed and ate yummy sandwiches and fruit.  You were liking this eating in bed thing.  We even had a cute little fridge that you knew how to help yourself too, it was just your size.  We have video of that if I am not able to post it here.





You were getting a little sleepy, so we thought it was safe to get back in the car and it was - you zonked out  - while we drove the 21 miles to Soda Springs. 

When we got there we checked out your great-great grandma, great-great grandpa's and your great-great-great grandma's headstones.  Grandma and Grandpa Donker went up there for Memorial Day and decorated their graves and the flowers were still there a looked lovely.  Then we woke you up and walked over to go see the geyser since it was about to erupt.  You weren't too impressed. 









Since we were getting eat alive by mosquito's we got back in the car and went to the grocery store - the same store I would go to with my Great Grandma Ferguson when I was younger.  Soda Springs really is a cute little town too. We went down their little main street that has a drive inn, a little bar, a haunted museum, hotel and movie theater. 

We headed back to Lava, it really is such beautiful land.  Your dad "ooooed and aaaahhhed"  every time we passed a place he could have fished.  That is another reason we have to go back to Lava is so daddy can fish - while we sleep in!!

When we got back to Lava we just hung out in the room for a bit, then we made dinner in our room in hopes that you would go back to sleep for a little nap because you were quite tired.  After dinner we hung out and you had no intentions of going to sleep, so  we got up and walked around.  We stopped at the ice cream parlor and got my fave - Playdough!!  Yum! Yum!  We walked back to our room and you were super tired at this point. Then you and I took a shower and now you were really tired!  You and I laid down while dad went to get him a snack at the gas station down the street.  As soon as dad left the room, it was dark and quiet  you were out! 

You slept great!!  Didn't wake up once.  You and I woke up around the same time.  You were just looking around - "Like where are we? Oh yeah I remember now!"


Your dad and I discovered that you are a good little vacationer within a 2 hours radius from home!  Other than that we'll have to fly everywhere!!

We had breakfast - corned beef hash - and you loved it!  Then we just packed up, got in our swim suits and headed out.  We stopped at the park where I would play as a kid.  You loved the slide and the swings but you weren't too fond of the merry-go-round like I thought you would.





Then we walked across the street to Sunken Gardens.  This was one of my favorite things about Lava.  I had to go there EVERY TIME I was in Lava.  I loved the flowers, the smells, the caves, the cool breeze and the view of the hot pots. When I was a child I told every one that is where I wanted to get married and I still do.  The poor gardens aren't kept up like they used to be but it seems like they are working on it.  You still a great time running along the path, smelling the flowers and checking it all out.  You are SO dang cute.  You would say "come on" and we would follow you up and down the paths. 













After the gardens we went to the pool and would you believe that I didn't get any pictures at the pool.  I feel so, so, so horrible!!  Anyway, when we got there you were SO excited.  We got your life jacket on you and jumped in the water.  You were squealing with delight.  You liked your life jacket a lot better than having me hold you the whole time or putting you in your fun palm tree tube thing.  You took advantage of the freedom and floated around.  You even went down the slide!  You didn't freak out when you went under water and popped back up.  A couple of times you would climb up the slide then just sit up there while a line would form behind you, it was quite funny. You were so happy and loving life.  I was too!!  I was trying to take it all in.  I love that you are my daughter.  You are perfect in every possible way. 


Then unfortunately our trip had to come to an end and we headed home.  We were all sad.  I love just having the freedom to do whatever we want, without a care in the world except for having fun!  I enjoy our little family SO much!!


Love you!


Love,
mommy 



No comments:

Post a Comment